Sunday, February 15, 2009

These boots were made for walking... again

A close up of a shortfin mako shark head.Image via Wikipedia

On Friday I picked up my boots from the local cobbler shop. The soles had developed some cracks and my feet were getting soaked whenever I wore them on a rainy day. Since the uppers were in good shape, it was worth it to have them fixed. Now they are as good as new, and I can wear them even in wet weather.

I like the leather they are made from too. It is tough stuff that at one time resided on the exterior of a mako shark. I wasn't too sentimental about that because sharks are nasty, regardless of their importance in the oceanic food web. And I figure some happy restaurant goers probably scored a few mako shark steaks as well. When I wear them I sometimes think about the fact that what is encasing my feet at one time prowled around the dark ocean depths. rather than grazing in a pasture somewhere.

It got me to thinking about this brain of mine. I wish my brain was more like my mako shark boots. I could take it to the nearest brain rewiring shop, leave it there for 4 or 5 days and pick it up again, good as new. You see, there are a lot of things I like about my brain. There's some pretty cool stuff I've stored away in there, like memories of my daughter being born, etc. But there are also some pretty dark and debilitating things in there too.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: